Masala Aloo Stuffed Paratha is an easy breakfast dish and makes a filling dish for any meal. This paratha is a spicy paratha made with Masala powder spiced aloo masala.
I was inspired to make this when I saw Srujan, one of those bloggers I follow on Instagram. I enjoy checking out her Lunch boxes and generally all her food pictures that are so well captured. I am quite active on Instagram where I tend to share my kitchen stories randomly than a planned one. When I saw her sharing her paratha, I was quick to make the masala as it had all my pantry ingredients and the stuffed paratha for my breakfast.
If you have the masala powder prepared ahead, this only takes 30 mins to get done. The Masala powder that I have given below gives about 1/2 cup of spice powder. I know potato is one of the most sought out ingredients and I have already have different parathas made with it like the regular Stuffed Aloo Paratha, Amritsari Aloo Paratha, Aloo Stuffed Ajwain Paratha and an Easy Aloo Paratha for Kids.
After an hectic month long Mega BM, we are back with regular monthly marathon BM#93, where I am going to be doing 1 Ingredient 3 ways. My chosen ingredient is Potato and I am going to be using Potato in three different ways.
Masala Aloo Stuffed Paratha
Ingredients for the Masala:
- 3 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 4-5 nos Dry Red Chillies See Notes*
- 2-3 nos Cloves
- 1 tbsp Anardana / Dried Pomagranate Seeds powder
- 2 tsp Amchoor / Dry Mango Powder
- 1 tbsp Kasoori Methi /Dried Methi Leaves
- 1 tsp Ajwain /Carrom seeds
- 1 piece Mace
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida / Hing
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Dry Ginger Powder See Notes*
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder See Notes*
For the Aloo Stuffing
- 1 cup Potato boiled and mashed
- Salt to Taste
- Handful Coriander Leaves
- 2 to 3 Green Chillies
- 1/4 cup Onions julienne
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- A Pinch Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Cooking Oil
For the Paratha
- 2 cup Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Ajwain
- Salt to taste
- Water as required to knead
- Ghee as required for cooking
How to make the Masala Powder
- Dry roast the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, red chillies, cloves and mace in a pan over low flame.
- Ensure to keep stirring so that the spices are well roasted. This takes about 5 mins.
- Take the pan off the heat, and add the ajwain, Kasoori Methi and Anardana, and toss around in the pan for a minute. Make sure to keep stirring to get these spices roasted and not get burnt.
- In a dry mixer, add the remaining dry spice powders and pulse it couple of times to get a slightly coarse texture to the powder. The coarsely powdered coriander and anardana lends good texture to the stuffing.
To make the Wheat dough
- Knead the flour with ajwain and salt with required water to a soft pliable dough.
- Divide into equal balls, let it rest for 10 mins.
To make the Parantha Stuffing:
- Wash and slash the potatoes. Microwave for 5 to 6 mins. Soak and peel the skin. Mash well with a fork.
- Heat a nonstick pan, add oil, saute the onions, grated garlic and ginger, green chilies well.
- Add the mashed potatoes, masala powder, extra red chili powder as required, salt. Combine everything well.
- Finally add the chopped coriander leaves. Adjust spice powder and masala powder as per taste. Keep it aside.
To make the Masala Aloo Paratha:
- Flatten the balls on the sides, place the stuffing in the center, seal well.
- Dust the ball and roll out to a 8 inch paratha.
- Heat a nonstick tawa and grease with oil.
- Cook the stuffed paratha on both sides with ghee.
- Serve hot with curds and pickle.
- In the Masala powder, you can use chili powder or chilli flakes instead of whole chillies depending on your spice level.
- Dry Ginger and garlic powder is used in the spice powder. Instead I added freshly pound garlic and ginger to the aloo masala stuffing.