Nachni Uttapam or Ragi Uttapam is an easy dosa made with Finger Millet flour and is very healthy for any meal.
Since this millet dosa is widely prepared across India, I was unable to tag it to a particular state. However, I borrowed the Nachni word for Ragi Millet from Marathi. While I have made Ragi Dosa with Urad dal batter, in this version I made Uttapam with onions. You can practically add as many vegetables as you want to make this very healthy.
I had made this when I was making the 8 different dosas when I had ground Urad dal batter ready. So you can just add the ragi flour to it and make a batter. I have a Ragi Adai that is very filling as well and a Sprouted Ragi Dosa as well.
A to Z Dosa Varieties
A for Alle Belle
B for Bele Dose
C for Chilro
D for Dhuska
E for Eylanchi
F for Faraali Dosa
G for Ghaaroda
H for Heerekai Dosa
I for ILam Dosai
J for Jini Dosa
K for Kadapa Karam Dosa
L for Lentil Dosa
M for Mushti Dosa
PIN This for Later!
Step by Step Pictures for making Nachni Uttapam
Nachni Uttapam | How to make Finger Millet Uttapam
- 1 cup Finger Millet Flour / Ragi / Nachni
- 3/4 cup Urad Dal
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Onion
- 2 nos Green Chillies
How to make Ragi Rotti
- Wash and soak the Urad Dal for at least 2 to 3 hours. Drain and grind to a smooth paste.
- Take the Ragi flour along with Urad dal paste and mix to a smooth batter.
- Add salt to taste
- Heat a tawa and pour a ladleful of batter in a circular motion and spread to a dosa.
- Sprinkle finely chopped onions and green chilies.
- Simmer and cook on both sides till the dosa is cooked well. This takes about 3 to 4 mins for each.
- Serve with side dish of your choice.