Alle Belle is a simple to make delicious Goan Treat that can be served with Tea or as a Dessert. This will be a hit with kids as the pancake tastes wonderful with the stuffing inside.
This easy pancake is stuffed with a mix made of coconut and palm jaggery. Since the recipe uses egg, I skipped it and used the regular All Purpose flour along with Baking Soda. Since on the day I made this, I was to make a Neivedyam for Ganapati Homan, I remembered yet another similar dish that’s special for Ganesh Chaturthi. So I went ahead and made this. My colleagues loved it so much that they were upset about seeing only a sample of this.
If you are wondering why I am talking about Dosas/Pancakes, well we are starting the second Mega BM of the year, themed on A to Z Flatbreads and More.
Since I did the Mega BM on this space as well for April, I knew I had to do this time as well. In fact, my list was almost ready during April itself, though I started cooking only last week.
This Pancake uses Palm Jaggery / Karuppatti or Pana Vellam which is very healthy and we can easily replace refined sugar with this. I have used nattu Sakkari.
When Archana had posted this on her space, I knew I had to make it sometime and I was happy I could use it for my A to Z Dosa Varieties. If you are interested to know what’s for A in Spice your Life, check out this post.
PIN This for Later!
Alle Belle | Goan Coconut Jaggery Pancake
For The Pancake Batter:
- 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour / Maida
- A pinch Salt
- Milk as needed
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- Ghee as needed
For the Stuffing:
- 3/4 cup Coconut freshly grated
- 2 tbsp Palm Jaggery / Nattu Sakkarai.
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
How to make Alle Belle
Preparing the stuffing:
- In a saucepan, take the jaggery along with water and melt.
- When the jaggery is melted, add salt coconut, cook on low flame.
- Cook until the mixture comes together. Add the cardamom powder.
- Let the mixture cool.
Making the Pancakes:
- In a bowl, add flour, salt, and baking soda.
- The batter should be thin as you will have to spread it easily.
- Heat a nonstick pan and grease with ghee.
- Pour a ladleful of batter and swirl to coal fully.
- Cook on low flame and flip to cook on both sides.
- Each pancake takes about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once done, transfer to a plate, place a spoon of stuffing and fold from sides horizontally.
- Then fold over it to completely cover the stuffing.
- Continue the same with the rest of the batter.
- We enjoyed it as a dessert.