Back home I had just about half hour to prepare the lunch and this is what I could think of. The baby potatoes were great being ducked in the gravy and went very well with the quick tomato rice, which is my kids favorite. Will be sharing it on the Spice your Life blog!
Needless to say we didn’t even feel the Sunday, only to wake up today to a sudden outpour of rains in our parts of the world. It sure caught us unaware. Especially if its a Monday morning and you are prone to a MM Blues! Even after going through the menu that I planned for the day, I got delayed in the end. I rushed to office.
Coming to the recipe, its a simple aloo in a tomato base with spices and kasuri methi.
Baby Potato Curry ~ Aloo Masala
Baby Potatoes – 150 gms
Onions – 1 medium, finely chopped
Tomatoes – 2 small, finely chopped
Ginger Garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
Cloves – 2
Cinnamon – 2″
Cardamom – 1
Curds/ Yogurt – 2 tbsp
Chili powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder a pinch
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tsp
Kasuri Methi – 2 pinches
Method to prepare:
- Soak and wash the baby potatoes well to remove the dirt. Prick the potatoes with fork as these are going to be cooked with skin. Piecing them allows the air to come out.
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil, add in the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon. Fry for 1 min.
- Then add the onions, sauté well till its light brown. Add in the ginger garlic paste. fry till its all mixed and browned.
- Next goes the tomatoes, simmer and add the salt and turmeric. Sauté for 5 mins for the tomatoes to get soft.
- Then add the red chili powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Simmer again for 5 mins. add in the baby potatoes and cook for couple of minutes. Have the flame in sim and add the curds. Mix well immediately so that it doesn’t curdle.
- After stirring well add 1 cup of water or enough to cover the baby potatoes. Sprinkle in the kasuri methi and cover with the pressure cooker lid. Cook for 4 -5 whistles till the potatoes are fork tender.
- Once the steam is off, cook again for a 1 minute for the gravy to get thicken.
- Serve it with Roti or Rice. The simple Tomato rice was a great combo for this spicy gravy.
Since its tough to peel the potatoes, makes it easy to cook with the skin on. Also many do eat with the skin on. so it ends up adding a different taste to the dish if you want to eat.
The simple meal disappeared in no time!
Have a great week ahead!