X Chicken Fry is a delicious dry roast that works as a wonderful starter for your parties. This easy to make chicken fry can be done with easily available pantry ingredients.
When I was thinking about reworking on the pictures, I wanted to make sure we make those dishes that are absolutely our family’s favorite. This X Chicken is one such dish, having got christen as X chicken for the simple fact that Amma didn’t know its name. She gets her inspiration from many places, many times, she simply combines things she liked.
We made this some months back when we suddenly remembered that we haven’t made it for a while now. Daddy was so happy and kids loved it too. I must now remember to make it more often.
– updated 27 Jan 2019
Today I am going to write on two of my Dad’s favorite dishes. One dish with chicken and the other one is an Andhra Specialty made from Butternut squash or red pumpkin as we call it. This dish is mainly done during the festival season and mostly liked and eaten in Andhra. I have not seen anybody in Tamil Nadu preparing this dish. In fact, my in laws don’t make it.
Coming back to the Chicken dish, it’s a dry roast that Amma started preparing some 10+ years before. She saw the recipe from some place and just changed to her taste. Its Dad’s most favorite one and when he asked her what its called, she said she didn’t remember the recipe name. So Dad refers this as X Chicken Fry. Whenever we want to get the homemade comfort food, this is the one Amma prepares – the X Chicken Fry.
Here you go for this wonderful dish. Step By Step Pictures for making X Chicken Fry
X – Chicken Fry
Preparation time : 15 mins (marinate for 10 min)
Cooking Time : 30 mins
Cuisine : Andhra
- 1/2 kg – Chicken
- 1 tsp – Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp – Ginger Garlic Paste
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp – Coconut Paste
- A pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp – Cooking Oil
- 2 – Onions
- 3 – Green Chillis
For dry masala
- 1 tsp – Coriander Powder
- 2 – Cloves
- 1 inch – Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp – Fennel Seeds
- 1/2 tsp – Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp – Poppy Seeds
Coriander Leaves for garnishing
Method to prepare:
- Clean and cut chicken pieces to required size. Mix Chilli powder, Ginger Garlic paste, Salt, Coconut paste and Turmeric powder to the Chicken pieces and marinate for 10 mins.
- Dry roast the items for dry masala and grind to fine powder once its cool.
- Chop Onions. Heat cooking oil in a Kadai. Fry onions till golden brown in colour. Add Green chillies and fry for a while.
- Then add marinated chicken and cook on high flame for 5 mins. Once the water comes out of chicken, simmer it for 20 mins under cover. Check in between to ensure its not burnt.
- Chicken gets cooked by 20 mins, then removed the cover and add the dry masala powder and again cook for 10 mins.
In the end garnish with chopped Coriander leaves.
This is what I made for dinner
Kodi kura (Chicken Gravy)
This Chicken gravy is different from the one I posted already. Hope you enjoy as I did making these.