Biriyanis in any form is great to have. Especially for a working woman like me, this is one easy dish to make and not think of side dishes and other extra items that we might normally have to prepare. Planning for a complete meal for the lunch is a big herculean task. Especially at home where everybody packs their lunch, its even more difficult as they need to get a balanced diet with all the Vegetables and a filling food.
I was planning to come with a series called Lunch Box series where I will be writing on the easy and balanced combos which will get done in flat 1 hrs time of cooking. Also I had an idea of starting a Event based on this theme. Do let me know if there is one already on this theme.
Well coming back to Biryanis, its so healthy as it has all the vegetables required, and takes very little effort to prepare. This is an ultimate choice for Vegetarians and especially for working people who need to pack in a jiffy.
We prepare different types of one dish based rice at least once a week.
Here you go for the recipe –
Serves : 4
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 2 cups – Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp – Butter
- 1 tbsp – Cooking Oil
- 2 medium – Onions
- 1 medium – Tomatoes
- 1 tsp – Ginger Garlic Paste
- 4 nos – Green Chillies
- A pinch of Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup – Carrots
- 1/2 cup – Beans
- 1/2 cup – Peas
- 1/2 cup – Potatoes
- 2 – Bay Leaves
- 1 inch – Cinnamon
- 5 – Cloves
- 1/4 cup – Mint Leaves
- Coriander Leaves (for garnishing)
- 1/2 cup – Curds
- 4 cups – Water
- Salt to taste
Method to prepare:
- Clean and soak Basmati rice for 15 mins in water. Refer here for my method of cooking Basmati Rice.
- Chop all the vegetables. Keep it aside.
- Heat Oil and butter in a pan in which you are going to cook.
- Add all the whole spices, then add onions, Green Chillies, Mint leaves. Saute till they are golden in colour.
- Then add ginger garlic paste. Once its cooked well, add the Vegetables. Fry for 5 mins.
- Then add drained rice and fry gently so that the rice is coated well in butter and at the same it does not get broken.
- Then add tomatoes, Curd, Salt to taste, turmeric powder, water. Normally for cooking basmati rice we use 1 – 1 & 1/2 ratio but since we have all the vegetables to cook I added 1-2 ratio of water.
- Pressure cook the rice and garnish with Coriander leaves.