This weekend we visited Tirumala in Tirupati. The town owes its existence to the sacred temple situated on the Tirumala Hills. Tirumala is the abode of Lord Venkateshwara, (one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu), located atop Seshachala hills often called as “Yaedu Kondalu” (seven hills). The temple of Lord Venkateshwara is the richest Hindu temple and is second most visited religious centers in the world following Vatican. Other details can be checked out here.
It is said that, we are blessed in getting even the prasadam, let alone visiting the place. Swamivaru Laddu is the most sacred one for Hindus. Other prasadam offered are Anna Prasadams (Pulihora), Chitrannam, Sweet Pongal and Curd rice. Each has its unique taste thats unsurpassed by none.
This being our native place we visit often, still getting other prasadam except laddu is quite difficult. Pulihora is made very often at home. In fact its a fixed one for Saturday lunch. I make as how Amma makes, still both tastes very different. I guess it depends on what and how many goes in. In fact my in laws are so fond of this, that I always prepare it when they visit us.
Here you go for the details
Andhra Pulihora, Tamarind Rice
Serves : 6
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 3 cups – Cooked Rice (300 gms)
- Tamarind (size of a lemon)
- 10 – Red Chillies
- 3 – Green Chillies
- 1 tbsp – Bengal Gram
- 1 tsp – Urud Dal
- 2 tbsp – Ground Nut
- 1 tsp – Mustard Seeds
- 1 – Curry Leaves
- A pinch Asafoetida
- Salt as per taste
- 150 ml – Cooking Oil
- 1 tsp – Bengal Gram
- 1 tsp – Urud Dal
- 2 tsp – Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 tsp – Fenugreek
- 2 nos – Red Chillies
Method to prepare:
- Soak tamarind in water for 30 mins. Extract thick pulp from it.
- Cook rice and spread it over a big bowl. Add oil to make sure the grains are separate.
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the powder and grind it once it is cool.
- Take a kadai, heat oil and add Bengal gram, Urud dal, Ground nuts, mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves, asafoetida.
- Add the tamarind pulp to the above, salt, add required amount of water to boil. Once its boiled well add the powder and cook well for 10 mins on sim.
- Once its done, mix it to the rice.
This tastes great when prepared in the morning and had for lunch. Also a wonderful dish for travelling packing.