I was first introduced to this heavenly sauce when I visited my friend’s ice-cream factory. We saw a big Cauldron with a churner rolling around with a rich creamy liquid boiling.
We were nonplussed at the beauty. We asked what was cooking and they said they were making Chocolate Fudge. The aroma that was coming out was intoxicating. We were offered to taste. There was no turning back after that day. It had become an integral part of cooking for me.
Fudge is an extremely rich and cocoa flavored sauce. This is made by mixing sugar, butter, and milk and heating it on high temperature. It acquires a smooth, creamy consistency by beating the mixture.
Fudge is usually understood to be chocolate. This can be used as topping on ice-creams, milkshakes, as icing on cakes.
Quick 5 mins fudge can be made by melting chocolate bars and heating it with butter on high flame.
If you are looking at a recipe that can be done in 15 mins, then use Sweetened Condensed Milk.
But my version was always boiling down milk to thick consistency. This takes around 40 – 45 mins of cooking.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 45 mins
- 2 to 3 tbsp – Cocoa powder
- 100 gms – Butter
- 1 liter – Milk
- 200 gms – Sugar
How to make Chocolate Fudge:
- Boil Milk on high flame. Take cocoa in a cup and add hot milk and make it to a smooth paste.
- Once milk is boiled, add cocoa paste slowly making sure it does not become lump. Cook for 10 mins.
- Then add sugar, butter. Keep it on high flame stirring it constantly to ensure what does not form.
- When the milk boils for nearly 30 mins, it becomes a thick liquid and it starts coming out from the edge.
- This is when you will have to remove if you are planning for fudge.
- The liquid can be removed in 20 mins if you are planning to make a sauce for ice cream.
- The thick chocolate fudge can be stored for preparing milk shakes, icing etc.
This is what I added to my Black Forest cake as topping.